Three passions have governed my life  

Posted by: reflective moments


The longings for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of others.

Love brings ecstasy and relieves loneliness. In the union of love I have seen in a mystic miniature the prefiguring vision of the heavens that saints and poets have imagined.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of others. I have wished to know why the stars shine.

 Love and knowledge led upwards to the heavens, but always pity brought me back to earth; cries of pain reverberated in my heart of children in famine, of victims tortured and of old people left helpless. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.


This has been my life; I find it worth living.





.

This entry was posted on 15:24 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

Gosh! That's very philosophical today. I think my list would be totally different - apart from helpless old people. They're not cute like dogs and kids, and they often seem to be treated as though they are superfluous instead of being looked after in their later years. Sad.

wow, deep, deep thoughts for me to contemplate this Saturday morning! I also find the thought of cruelty to animals something which keeps me awake at night. And like you so rightly say, I cannot alleviate it, as much as I would like to,because one person is helpless against all the cruelty in the world. Whether such cruelty be towards animals, children, or elderly people, who are helpless with evil carers.

J x

One person cannot change the world but it is good to know that there are people who care in this world and seek to understand xx

Lots to think about here. I find it difficult to understand how so many elderly are left to fend for themselves when they have children who could care for them. It is truly sad to see them struggle alone.

So true! Great post, thanks!

Post a Comment